Medical Health

Officials confirm 10 new cases of COVID-19 in Bexar County on Saturday, bringing the total to 39

CDC confirms three more Grand Princess evacuees at JBSA-Lackland test positive for coronavirus

By Sig Christenson and and Sara Cline

Updated

  • Passenger Steven Smith, goes through a health screening after leaving the Grand Princess cruise ship in Oakland, Calif., Wednesday, March 11, 2020. Restless passengers on a coronavirus-struck cruise ship awaited their turn to disembark. By Tuesday night, Princess Cruises said about 1,400 of the 3,500 people on board had gotten off, and efforts were underway to move them to quarantine in their home countries or at military bases in California, Texas and Georgia. (Michele Smith via AP) Photo: Michele Smith, HONS / Associated Press / Michele Smith

    Passenger Steven Smith, goes through a health screening after leaving the Grand Princess cruise ship in Oakland, Calif., Wednesday, March 11, 2020. Restless passengers on a coronavirus-struck cruise ship awaited their turn to disembark. By Tuesday night, Princess Cruises said about 1,400 of the 3,500 people on board had gotten off, and efforts were underway to move them to quarantine in their home countries or at military bases in California, Texas and Georgia. (Michele Smith via AP)

    less

    Passenger Steven Smith, goes through a health screening after leaving the Grand Princess cruise ship in Oakland, Calif., Wednesday, March 11, 2020. Restless passengers on a coronavirus-struck cruise ship

    … more

    Photo: Michele Smith, HONS / Associated Press

Photo: Michele Smith, HONS / Associated Press

Passenger Steven Smith, goes through a health screening after leaving the Grand Princess cruise ship in Oakland, Calif., Wednesday, March 11, 2020. Restless passengers on a coronavirus-struck cruise ship awaited their turn to disembark. By Tuesday night, Princess Cruises said about 1,400 of the 3,500 people on board had gotten off, and efforts were underway to move them to quarantine in their home countries or at military bases in California, Texas and Georgia. (Michele Smith via AP)

less

Passenger Steven Smith, goes through a health screening after leaving the Grand Princess cruise ship in Oakland, Calif., Wednesday, March 11, 2020. Restless passengers on a coronavirus-struck cruise ship

… more

Photo: Michele Smith, HONS / Associated Press

Local officials confirmed ten new COVID-19 cases in Bexar County on Saturday, bringing the county’s total number of infected to 39, as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report three more cruise ship passengers now quarantined at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland have tested positive for coronavirus.

Area officials say most Bexar cases, 16, have been travel-related, nine have been contracted through community transmission and five are from close contact. Nine cases remain under investigation.

Stay up to date on the latest coronavirus news with mySA.com:

At this time, there have been no reported deaths as a result of coronavirus in Bexar county. There have been 293 tests issued by the Metro Health Lab, with most them – 88 percent – tested negative.

A third of the cases are hitting people in the 40 to 49-year-old age range.

Previously, the CDC said two passengers from the Grand Princess ship has contracted the virus. There are now a total of five passengers at Lackland with COVID-19. Of the 143 passengers originally brought to Lackland from the Grand Princess, 122 remain.

These passengers were flown to Lackland earlier this month for a two-week federally mandated quarantine after some aboard the ship were exposed to the virus. Most are staying in a hotel that is fenced off from the rest of the base and under guard. Some have been transported to their home states to finish their quarantine there.

Stay up to date on all coronavirus news with mySA and The San Antonio Express-News.

Read More

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close